The sentence formation follows:
|Singular Number||Plural Number|
|1st Person||I was eating||We were eating = We’re eating|
|2nd Person||You were eating = You’re eating||You were eating = You’re eating|
|3rd Person||He was eating = He’s eating|
|She was eating = She’s eating||They were eating = They’re eating|
|It was eating = It’s eating|
Uses of The Past Progressive (Continuous) Tense:
- The past progressive tense is mainly used for past actions which continued for some time, but we may not have an idea about their exact limits. In other words, it is not important to learn the fact how long it went on. Look at the below-mentioned diagram:
. . . . . . ———————-. . . . . .
- It can be used without a time reference; indicates gradual development.: It was getting difficult. The temperature was rising.
can also be used with a time reference; denotes that an action which began
prior to that time and probably continued then after, too.
- At nine I was having breakfast says indirectly that I was in the middle of breakfast at nine, i.e. that I started it before nine.
- I had breakfast at nine would indicate that I started it at nine.
when and while time expression:
- When I entered the room, my cat was whining.
is used in the indirect narration; a past equivalent of the present progressive
- Direct speech: She said, ‘I am leaving this place’.
Indirect speech: She said she was leaving that place.